Guests are a blessing when they visit. They fill your home with warmth and laughter. And it’s natural to want to give them an unforgettable 5-star luxury treatment.
Luxurious hotels are best known for taking your breath away. They always nail their first impression and continue to mesmerise you with bits and pieces of thoughtful things that give you a warm and inviting feel.
Everywhere you go is impressive; the neatly adorned lobby, cosy room with perfect lighting, plush bed with a mound of pillows that look like marshmallows, a well-stocked bathroom with miniature lotions and potions, and the fluffiest towels that feel so good on your skin
There’s ducted A/C to keep you warm when the night is cold. And as you sink into your bed, the smooth and crisp hotel sheets feel perfect. Come morning, after a restful night, you have your breakfast in bed while watching the TV.
And on goes the little and big hotel charms and treats...
Now, can you bring some of these luxury hotel features into your own home? And thoroughly impress your guests.
Absolutely. And we’ll show you how.
1. Pretty up With Fresh Flowers
Fresh flowers are pretty and they smell incredibly good. So you can be sure your home will be filled with pleasant floral scents.
For maximum impact, place a large floral arrangement as close to the front door as possible.
And then keep up with the flower theme by placing other beautiful floral arrangements in strategic places around the house.
Now that you’re going floral, you could use some of these flower care tips:
- Use garden sheers to trim one or two inches off your flower stems. This improves the flowers’ water intake. After every two or three days, re-trim your bouquet;
- Trim your flowers to remove any leaves below the water line. Also, keep checking daily for dead or loose leaves and petals. This keeps your flowers safe from bacterial rot;
- To keep your flowers hydrated, put room temperature water into a flower vase and add a packet of flower food. Mix well and ensure that the concentration is right;
- Clean the flower vase well and change the water and flower food after every two or three days;
- Place your flowers in rooms with cooler temperatures, away from direct sunlight, and equipment that generates heat. Avoid open windows, ceiling fans, and heating or cooling vents;
- Don’t display your bouquet near fruit; ripening fruits release tiny amounts of ethylene gas which reduces the life span of your fresh flowers.
2. Fill the Air With Lovely Scented Candles
Candles create the perfect ambience for a warm and cosy home. Even better, scented candles fill the air with lovely scents. Your guests will surely enjoy the cosy and intimate atmosphere.
Now that your scented candles have created a warm glow, filling your home with a sweet fragrance, you have the perfect relaxing atmosphere. However, candles can easily cause fires. So heed to the following precautions:
- Burn candles away from any draughts;
- Never leave a burning candle unattended;
- Protect surfaces, which may be damaged by heat;
- Burn candles out of the reach of children and pets;
- Don’t light candles on or near anything that may catch fire.
3. Keep it Subtly Elegant and Stylish
Do you always wonder how hotels manage to look neat and uncluttered? Nothing too showy?
They have mastered the art of keeping it subtly elegant and stylish. And you can borrow a leaf from their book.
Use these tips to keep your house simple and elegant - even after the guests leave:
- Put everything away immediately after use;
- Use white sheets for a crisp and clean look;
- Layer your bedding to make it feel luxurious;
- Decorate in pairs. Symmetry creates a relaxed environment;
- Keep a junk drawer where every little bit of clutter goes into;
- Have a place for everything so that everything goes to its place;
- Paint the rooms in soothing neutral shades; beige, cream, grey;
- Have multiple sources of lighting such as freestanding lights and dimmers;
- Go paper-free: scan all your documents using digital apps such as Evernote;
- Make the bed neatly and precisely; everything in place, pillows stand tall and happy;
- And many more tips.
4. Invest in Great Bedding
You stunned your guests with an alluring entrance, they enjoyed the ambience in your home, now it’s time to send them to dreamland in style. Remember they will be spending about eight hours in bed each night, so you better make it comfortable.
Here’s how: always have great bedding.
But then again, buying great bedding can be tricky and somewhat overwhelming. How about we help you ace your bedding options?
Sounds good? Let’s start.
Your guests should sleep on smooth and crisp bed sheets that caress the skin with a silky feel. You need to know several things about bed sheets:
- Understand thread count;
- Know where to buy hotel quality sheets in Australia;
- Get the right size bed sheets that fit your bed perfectly;
- Decide the right fabric weave for your sheets: sateen or percale;
- Learn how to take care of your sheets so they look as good as new for longer;
- Choose the best material for your bed sheets; silk, cotton, lyocell, bamboo, polycotton;
Let’s now take a look at a variety of bed sheets from Australian Linen Supply.
A good pillow is one that offers excellent support to the head and neck while keeping the spine in neutral alignment. But there are tons of pillow options out there. So buy your pillow based on your personal preferences and intended use.
Let’s explore pillow options:
- Water pillows: offers unchanging solid support;
- Wool pillows: absorbent and breathable pillow;
- Cotton pillows: breathable pillow with a cooling effect;
- Polyester fill pillows: easy to clean and affordable pillows;
- Kapok pillows: pillow made from natural plants; free from toxicity;
- Feather pillows: inexpensive light and soft pillows compared to down;
- Microbead pillows: a breathable and malleable pillow that holds its shape;
- Latex pillows: a semi-breathable pillow that keeps you cool throughout the night
- Goose down pillows: light and soft pillow that accommodates all sleeping positions;
- Buckwheat pillows: long lasting pillow made of natural and compostable materials;
- Memory foam pillows: have a magical way of retaining their shape without clumping.
How about we get visual now and show you some of the best pillow options that your guest will love resting their heads in as they catch some much-needed sleep?
5. Have Special Towels for Guests
The best towels are those that are soft, fluffy, and super absorbent - not to mention big.
Remember towels should not be shared; therefore, store enough towels for all your guests. Need some ideas? Have a look at these towel suggestions:
- Learn how to keep your towels softer and fluffier always.
- Learn stylish ways to fold your towels
6. Display a Basket of Miniatures
Still on the bathroom theme; display a nice basket of miniatures in your guests’ bathroom. Even if your guests don’t use the miniature potions and lotions, they at least look pretty.
You can include some of these beauty bits and items used to freshen up:
When your guests have all these little yet essential things within their reach, they will hardly need to reach out to you for help with this or that (which can be overwhelming if you are hosting many guests).
Other bathroom essentials that you shouldn’t forget to provide:
7. Alternate Breakfast in Bed With Breakfast Buffets
Let your guests wake up to a delicious homemade breakfast served in bed. This little ritual (well mastered by luxurious hotels) will leave your guests feeling thoroughly spoilt and pampered. Just the way it should be.
In as much as it’s delightful to serve breakfast in bed, it makes sense to try other great ideas as well. You can alternate breakfast in bed with breakfast buffets - it's a versatile option that you can do indoors or outdoors.
Buffets bring people closer. They enhance socialising and chatting in a friendly atmosphere.
You also get a chance to do a beautiful presentation of your breakfast; foods grouped in different stations look more attractive.
These charming tricks of the trade are bound to wow your guests. They will enjoy their stay at your home and once they leave, they will not stop gushing about how pampered they felt while staying over. No doubt an unforgettable 5-star luxury treat.