Want to select hotel quality sheets for your accommodation property but you’re feeling stuck and overwhelmed?
Could be you’ve searched on the internet for wholesale bed linen suppliers Australia, commercial linen suppliers, and even hotel linen supplies? But with little to no success?
We get it, it can be one daunting task. But worry no more.
We are here to help you select the best hotel quality sheets effortlessly. And better still, show you where to buy them conveniently.
To achieve that, we’ll answer all those pesky questions are nagging your mind as you select your hotel sheets.
Sounds good? Let’s get started…
What Type of Bed Sheets Are Used in Hotels?
On taking a closer look, you will realise that hotels use hotel quality sheets that are:
- Specifically designed for the hospitality industry
- Crispier, heavier, and thicker compared to retail bed sheets
- Comprise of a thicker thread/weave that can withstand frequent use and regular washing
- Made from superior fabric that feels extremely luxurious, soft, smooth, and crisp
What Materials Are Hotel Sheets Made Of?
Various fabric types are used to make hotel sheets. Therefore, to help you understand the materials hotel sheets are made of, we’ll take a look at the most common ones.
Silk is the most luxurious and comfortable fabric for your bed sheets. However, silk is expensive and difficult to care for. Silk comes from the silkworm.
Cotton is the most popular bed sheet fabric. It is affordable and easy to care for. Cotton comes from the cotton plant.
Examples of cotton bed sheets:
- 100% carded cotton
- Combed cotton
Linen fabric is a product of the flax plant. Linen bed sheets can last you a long (long!) time. Linen fabric is thick, therefore, expect lower thread count.
Synthetic bed sheets are mostly made of polyester. They are often cheap, not breathable, and aren’t suitable for sleepers who get hot at night.
Microfiber bed sheets are also synthetic. However, they are of a higher quality than polyester.
The most common blends are polyester + cotton. Combined, these blends give you bed sheets that have the best qualities of both fabrics. So you end up with affordable and comfortable bed sheets.
Examples of blend bed sheets:
Still, on hotel bed sheet materials, have a look at this table summarising bed sheet fabrics:
Bed Sheet Fabric Summary
|Material||Average Cost||Natural or Synthetic||Advantages||Disadvantages|
|Egyptian Cotton||$$$||Natural||Very soft
Prone to wrinkling
Hand wash/machine wash only
Strong and durable
Absorbs moisture without feeling damp
Wrinkles a lot
May feel stiff and rough
|Prone to wrinkling|
|Not as durable as the other kinds of cotton|
Can feel damp
|Prone to lint
May attract dust
Prone to wrinkling
Less soft (compared to other kinds of cotton)
What Thread Count Do Hotels Use?
Before we go any further, you need to understand what thread count is. Here’s an explanation:
Some manufacturers have been seen to play with the thread count by twisting several yarns together to create a higher number.
Obviously, in these cases, the inflated higher thread-count does not mean a better fabric. Although it is commonly thought that the higher count means softer sheets – this is not always the case.
With that in mind, let us help you decide what is the best thread count for your hotel sheets.
What Is the Best Thread Count For Hotel Sheets?
Different fabrics require different thread counts to achieve their finishes.
Finer yarn + higher thread count = more natural lustre fabric that’s smoother and finer
Here’s a table showing different fabrics and their ideal thread count. As you take a look, remember that the best thread count is the one that feels best to you.
Different Fabrics and their Ideal Thread Count
|Ideal Thread Count||Fabric/Weave|
|50 - 140 T/C||Linen|
|150 - 200 T/C||Cotton Flannel|
|200 - 300 T/C||Basic Percale
|350 - 750 T/C||Sateen
High thread count percale
|800 - 1000 T/C||1000 thread count percale|
What Are the Best Types of Hotel Sheets?
Apart from fabric, you can also check the bed sheet type when selecting your bed linen.
Now, to help you understand the types of bed sheets, we’ll take a closer look at the fabric weave used in bed sheets.
We’ll start by understanding the fabric weave basics:
- Weaving is a method of creating textiles or fabric
- It involves the use of two separate types of threads or yarns that are interlaced at right angles to form cloth
- The way the threads interlace is called the weave
Common Types of Hotel Sheets Weaves
Basic Percale Weave
- Percale is a tightly woven, plain weave fabric that consists of one horizontal yarn over, one vertical yarn under.
- Has a matte appearance
- Generally made from Egyptian cotton
- Made from smooth yarn that’s combed to remove any short inferior quality fibres
- Produces smooth crisp cotton fabric of medium weight
- Percale bed sheets feel extremely luxurious and smooth to sleep on
Embellished Percale Weave
- Basic percale is hardy and can be embellished by adding embroidery using a machine or hand
- Contrast fabric material is attached to the percale bed sheets, or as cording
- A single row or up to three rows of coding are added to give a lovely dimension to your bed linen
High Thread Count Percale Weave
- A fabric with a true, high thread count should be finer and silkier than a standard percale, due to the high quality, long staple yarns required for its construction
- Longer cotton staples are combed finer, to extract the smaller fibres and produce the strongest, smoothest, quality yarn. This yarn is woven in a percale weave to produce a fabric that is extremely smooth and fine to the touch
- The fabric of a higher thread count is more expensive, due to the quality of its yarn, and since it is finer than percale, may not last as long with frequent laundering and usage.
- The appeal of high thread count fabrics is their silky smooth finish, lustre and lightweight feel.
- Sateen fabric is generally woven with one vertical thread for every four horizontal threads
- Sateen weave produces bed sheets that are lustrous.
- Sateen weave bed sheets feel smooth and silky. They feel and resemble satin or silk
- While sateen fabrics are not as durable as tighter percale weaves, they are extremely luxurious to sleep under
Sateen Stripe Weave
- A delicate repeat stripe pattern can be interwoven within a sateen weave
- In addition to the silky sheen of a sateen fabric, you can have the added appeal of a subtle stripe
Twill weave is identified by the diagonal lines it creates. It requires at least 3 harnesses. The video below explains how a twill weave is made. Watch.
What Are the Different Bed Sheet Sizes?
It is a no brainer that when buying your bed sheets, you ought to get the size right. Otherwise, your sheets won’t fit well on the bed. Think of it like buying the wrong shoe size.
To help you pick the right bed sheets sizes, you need to know the Australian bed and mattress sizes:
Here we go:
Australia's Bed & Mattress Sizes
|Bed Type||Metric Measurement (cm)||Imperial Measurement|
|Single Bed Size||92cm x 187cm||3’0’’ x 6’2’’ (36” x74”)|
|Single Extra Long Size||92cm x 203cm||3’0” x 6’8” (36” x80”)|
|King Single Size||106cm x 203cm||3’6” x 6’8” (42” x80”)|
|Double Size||137cm x 187cm||4’6” x 6’2” (54” x 74”)|
|Queen Size||153cm x 203cm||5’0” x 6’8” (60” x 80”)|
|King Size||183cm x 203cm||6’0” x 6’8” (72” x 80”)|
|Super King Size||203cm x 203cm||6’8” x 6’8” (80” x 80”)|
With these sizes, you can easily estimate whether or not the sheets you are buying will fit your mattress and bed.
Which Pillows Are Used in Hotels?
Can we really afford not to talk about bed pillows alongside bed pillows?
As you know, pillows add a final touch of elegance to any bed.
Therefore, it is important to keep them in mind as you shop for your hotel sheets.
You can check here to learn how to choose luxurious bed pillows like a pro.
Here are examples of luxurious bed pillows for you to check out:
How to Lay Your Bed?
Now that you have known how to select your hotel quality sheets. And you have known the best pillows to complete your awesome bed look, it is time to lay your bed.
But first, you need to shop bed linen, right?
No need to second guess when it comes to buying the best hotel sheets for your accommodation property.
Head over to Australian Linen Supply ( a commercial linen supplier in Australia) and shop your bed linen. And by the way, they stock linen for every occasion - so feel free to explore!
Now you ready to lay your bed.
Clueless? Here’s how:
Sweet dreams. ZZZ...