There must be some mystery behind hotel sheets.
- Why do they feel so good to sleep on?
- Why are they so crisp? And mostly white?
- How long do these hotel sheets last?
- And what are the best hotel sheets?
Thought-provoking questions, right?
Now here comes the good part: what if you could get the answers to these pesky questions and more?
Wouldn’t that put your mind at ease once and for all? And better still, you’ll be able to shop for commercial bed linen with confidence.
Therefore, allow us to enlighten you on matters of hotel quality sheets.
Ready? Let’s get started on the answers to your questions:
1. What Are Hotel Quality Sheets?
Nothing makes you feel better than when you get into a hotel bed, and the sheets feel so good. Why shouldn't you wake up like that every day? Spend money on your mattress and bedding because these things make a difference in your sleep and, ultimately, your happiness. - Bobby Berk
Hotel quality sheets have an amazing allure. They are sensual sheets with a luxurious look and feel.
These sheets are built for commercial use - using the finest materials and exceptional manufacturing quality.
Although hotel quality sheets are best suited for the hospitality industry, some home users prefer them because of their remarkable features.
Could your accommodation property use some new hotel linen supplies? When you get to bed sheets, keep the following points in mind:
- The type of material used for the bed sheets e.g. polycotton, silk, carded cotton, linen, microfiber, etc.
- The type of weave used on the bed sheets; sateen or percale
- The thread count (the number of threads in each square inch of fabric) - higher thread count doesn't necessarily mean higher quality
- The environmental impact your bed sheet have (if you prioritize environmental impact)
- The laundering requirements
Before we continue, you may want to keep tabs with the growth of the accommodation industry in Australia.
Take a look at this infographic.
2. Why Are Hotel Sheets So Comfortable?
Who wouldn’t want to laze in the softest and butteriest bed linen?
As an accommodation property owner/manager, you should do everything possible to ensure that your guests sleep comfortably.
A comfortable bed consists of a suitable bed mattress, feather-soft pillows, a fluffy comforter and you guessed it - luxurious bed sheets.
So what makes hotel sheets feel so good?
The answer is simple: fabric weave and fabric choice.
Fabric Weave: Percale vs Sateen
Hotel bed sheets are either made of percale or sateen weave. The main difference being how the threads are interlaced to give the final feel.
For you, deciding between percale and sateen weave is a matter of personal preference.
Here’s a diagram paint a clearer picture.
To pick the right fabric for your bed linen, you’ll have to first consider your the following:
- Your budget
- Wash and care requirements
- The climate of the place the bed sheets will be used
With that in mind, let’s quickly list the most suitable bed linen fabrics:
- Silk - 100% silk is the most luxurious bed sheet. Comes with an expensive price tag
- Polycotton - A blend of man-made polyester and natural cotton
- Egyptian cotton - Luxury extra-long staple cotton
- Pima cotton - Superior blend of cotton with high thread count. Durable and soft
- Cotton percale - High-quality combed 100% cotton
- Flannel - 100% cotton that is incredibly warm with a soft insulating feel. Perfect for winter
Here’s a guide on different fabrics properties. Check it out.
3. What Makes Hotel Sheets So Crisp?
Hotel bed sheets smell so good, are cool, smooth and crisp - just perfect.
But really...what makes the sheets so crisp?
The answer may surprise you. It is proper starching and ironing.
But how do you properly starch and iron your bed linen? Use this quick guide:
- Remove your linens from the dryer before they are fully dry. They may feel somewhat damp to touch but that will make ironing them a lot easier
- Spray each bed linen piece with starch - starch helps your linen remain crisp but not stiff
- Fold your sheets lengthwise into quarters to help speed up the ironing process
- Iron the sheets on high heat while ensuring that each layer gets a nice pressing
- Don't skip the pillowcases - pillows are a bed’s centrepieces
- Finish off with a polished look by smoothing and tucking your freshly ironed bed sheets
But that’s not all.
You have to lay your pillows right. Luckily, we have a pillow arrangement guide for you to follow.
4. How to Fold Hotel Sheets?
Good question - best solved through visuals, don’t you agree?
Therefore, there are two videos for you to watch.
- One shows you how to fold a flat sheet
- The other one how to fold a fitted sheet
Feel free to replay the videos until you get right all the steps involved in folding the bed sheets.
1. Folding Flat Sheet Video
2. Folding Fitted Sheet Video
5. How Long Do Hotel Sheets Last?
The lifespan of your hotel sheets depends on several parameters. The sheets will wear out for sure but over time.
The following factors will determine their lifespan:
- Having insufficient bed linen for your accommodation property resulting in frequent rewashing thus faster wearing out
- Exposure of the bed sheets to high temperatures may turn the fibre brittle - brittle fibre breaks easily.
- Quality of the fabric used in the sheets construction. Low-grade fibres won’t stand the test of time. They will unravel and turn into lint after several washes
- Use of harsh laundry detergents and brighteners may damage the bed sheet fibres
- Heavier people and restless sleepers induce more wear on the bed sheets. This may reduce the sheet’s life span
Given these circumstances, your commercial bed sheets may last for months or years.
6. Are Hotel Sheets Always White?
White is the colour of perfection. And you may be interested to learn the psychological meaning of white.
No wonder a majority of hotels prefer white bed linen over coloured ones.
White sheets look and feel clean (it is the easiest way to assure your guests that the bed is clean and fresh).
White bed sheets also give the impression of luxury and opulence.
However, white bed sheets come with extra care needs. They show stains easily. But isn’t that the whole point anyway?
PRO Tip: Offer your guests white towels, white bathrobes, and white slippers for a truly elegant treat.
But wait a minute…
Does that mean you can’t use coloured sheets for your accommodation services?
That will be purely based on personal choice.
There are coloured bed linens available in the market.
If you dare get adventurous, here are some colours for you to pick:
- Charcoal grey
- Denim Blue
7. What are the best hotel sheets
The best hotel sheets are those that offer your guests perfect comfort, are durable, and easy to maintain.
Here’s an infographic to help you decide:
Once you know the type of bed sheets you need for your accommodation needs, you are ready to start shopping.
Where to Buy Hotel Quality Sheets in Australia
The easiest way is to shop online. Why? Because unlike in stores, shopping online:
- Is convenient
- It is easier to compare prices
- You will have access to a variety of products
- Products sold online are often cheaper than those sold in stores
Australian Linen Supply is a great online store that stocks hotel quality sheets among other commercial linen supplies.
Here’s why ALS is worth your attention:
ALS is one of Australia’s leading importers and distributors of linen products. ALS stocks linen for every occasion - your hotel quality sheets included.
Australian Linen Supply (ALS) extensive product collection includes (just in case you need more stuff):
- High quality white and vat-dyed coloured bed and bath linens
- White satin striped bed linen
- Quilts (duvets)
- Pillow and mattress protectors – including waterproof mattress protectors
- Pillows, blankets
- Mattress toppers
- Quilt (duvet) protectors
- Bathrobes and slippers
- Table linen – white and coloured
- 100% cotton tea towels
- Swabs and wipers
- Terry towelling bar runners
- Polyester laundry bags and metal frame stands
- Dust control mats
- Dispensing machines
- Cabinet towel rolls
Feel free to explore ALS. Happy shopping!