The Ultimate Shopping Guide for Hotel Tablecloths
You've already nailed your menu with signature dishes. Now it’s time to focus on your hotel’s decor so you can set the stage for a memorable dining experience.
Have you ever flipped through a magazine and stopped at the sight of a hotel's stunning decor? That’s exactly how every hotel owner wants to make guests feel when they come to their establishment.
One of the things that can help you achieve the right look is a beautiful tablecloth.
The market has a wide variety of tablecloths. This makes shopping for the right one a difficult task.
While you can choose to shop blindly, you'll have better success if you know what to look for. This will save you time and money.
To start with, you need to understand the importance of tablecloths for any hotel. This will help you make an informed choice when purchasing them.
- They protect the dining table from stains and scratches.
- They are part of the decor, thus adding to the ambience of the hotel.
- They create a premium look and feel to your hotel, which gives you the ability to charge a higher price for the services you offer.
With that said, you need tablecloths with style. Australian Linen Supply will meet all your needs. They stock a variety of commercial tablecloths ideal for hotels.
Check out their collection today!
When purchasing tablecloths, there are several things you need to pay attention to:
Let’s have a look at each of these.
1. The Colour of Your Tablecloths
White is a common choice of tablecloth colour in most hotels, especially in fine dining. There are many benefits to this timeless colour:
- It is easy to wash all your tablecloths at once since you don’t have to worry about the risk of running colours.
- Maintaining cleanliness is easy. You can spot dirt and stains on white tablecloths.
- White is readily available, unlike coloured tablecloths, which may vary in shades.
- You can accessorise white tablecloths in versatile ways. For example, use overlays, centrepieces or table runners of different colours and patterns.
If you have a casual setting at your hotel, coloured and patterned tablecloths are a good choice. They help match the theme of the setting.
You can also add colour to your dinner tables using overlays. This is common when hosting a wedding or a cocktail party.
Watch this video and learn how to use overlays:
ALS stocks tablecloths and overlays of different colours. Here are some samples:
2. The Size of Your Tablecloths
Your tablecloths should fit the dinner tables. Know the sizes of your tables before shopping for tablecloths.
Tablecloths should be larger than the dinner tables they are covering. If not, you will end up exposing certain parts of your table. However, avoid oversized tablecloths, as they look awkward and out of place.
Factor in the drop you need depending on the occasion. A drop is the length of a tablecloth that hangs below the surface of the table.
There are three kinds of drops for tablecloths:
- Full drop. Common for formal settings, such as when hosting banquet weddings at your hotel. The drop goes down to the height of the table.
- Half drop. Often used in casual settings. The drop goes down to the lap and is usually 15-20 centimetres long.
- Puddle drop. Used in elegant settings. The drop goes down to the floor beyond the height of the table.
To calculate the drop, take the length of your tablecloth (L) and subtract your table’s height (H) then divide by 2. Drop = (L-H) ÷ 2
3.The Shape of Your Tables
Keep in mind the shape of your tables when buying tablecloths. Table shapes and tablecloths go hand in hand.
- Round table: Use round or square tablecloths.
- Rectangular Table: Use a rectangular tablecloth.
- Square table: Use a square tablecloth.
- Oval table: Use oval or rectangular tablecloths.
4. The Fabric of the Tablecloth
Tablecloths in a hotel undergo several washings because of daily use. Their fabric withstands the wear and tear.
Cotton is a common material for tablecloths. It is affordable, absorbent, and durable. It is also easy to maintain and great for fine dining.
Polyester is another good choice of fabric for tablecloths. It is like cotton in many ways but shines more. It is ideal for outdoor dining.
Consider tablecloths made of a blend of cotton and polyester. That way, you reap the benefits of both fabrics.
If your hotel is a casual eatery, use tablecloths made of linen. They are resistant to stains and wrinkles.
For formal dining, choose tablecloths made of silk. They are ideal for creating a luxurious look.
However, silk is a delicate fabric and difficult to maintain. Use silk tablecloths only on special occasions.
Always buy commercial tablecloths. They can withstand wear and tear and are durable. You can find these from Australia Linen Supply. They are a trusted brand.
5. The Design of Tablecloths
Different designs of tablecloths help you achieve different looks. Many hotels prefer white or ivory for a formal setting.
If you are hosting a casual event, such as a cocktail or birthday party, use patterned tablecloths.
Transform the vibe of your dinner tables by matching your tablecloths with napkins. For a bold and modernlook, use tablecloths of bold prints and rustic napkins.
Seasonal holidays, such as Christmas, give you the opportunity to use coloured tablecloths. Use colours that match the theme of the season.
Image from: Petr Kratochvil
How to Care for Your Tablecloths
Even the best tablecloths made of high-quality linen still need some TLC. When tablecloths are cared for properly they serve you longer and give you better value for your money.
Here are some ways to take care of your tablecloths:
- If they have any stains, strive to get rid of the marks while they are still fresh. When stains set in, it becomes difficult to remove them.
- Use artificial sweeteners to cover the stained tablecloth immediately. This will prevent the stain from leaving a permanent mark.
- First, soak the stained tablecloth in hot water overnight or for eight hours.
- Run the soaked tablecloths on a short cycle using hot water in your washing machine. Avoid using the long cycle, as this will add to the wear and tear.
- If the tablecloth is white, hang it out in the sun. Don’t hang coloured tablecloths under the sun. Ensure there is a shade.
- Always hang your tablecloths without wringing them to avoid wrinkles.
- If possible, keep your tablecloths without folding. Instead, roll them and store them.
- Iron your tablecloths before use. When doing so, do not starch them because they already have a natural crispness. If you are using them for fine dining, starch them.
- Ensure the tablecloths are damp before ironing them. This will remove all creases during ironing. Always iron your tablecloths inside out.
Watch this video to see additional ways of caring for your tablecloths:
Let’s Wrap up
To run a successful hotel, you need to pay attention to the little details. One of these includes the choice of tablecloths for your premises.
Tablecloths are an investment worth making. Use them to create an inviting atmosphere for your hotel.
Invest in different tablecloths to suit different settings. Guests like to have new experiences every time they visit your hotel. This also means repeat business for you.
Use the information we have provided and implement what you think works best for your hotel.
Spoilt for choice? Start with white quality tablecloths available at Australian Linen Supply. You can expect friendly customer service and delivery within Australia.
Feature Image: pxhere