“Life isn't a matter of milestones, but of moments.” — Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy
Birthdays come once a year, but they provide an opportunity to create magical moments. These moments last for a long time.
So, how does one create a magical moment?
By throwing an epic birthday party.
Any event planner can throw a party. But you want to throw one that leaves your guests dazzled.
This can seem like an insurmountable task.
Don’t worry. We’ve got you covered. We want you to succeed at pulling off your party in style.
Here are five creative birthday table setting ideas that will mesmerise your guests.
Let’s jump right into it.
1. Black Tie-Themed Party
You will love a black tie themed party. This look is formal and timeless.
Foster a warm setting that gives room for intimate conversations using round tables. Choose standard size round tables with a diameter of 120 to 150 cm. This will allow six to eight guests per table.
For this theme, keep your decor stylish and upscale. Drape your tables with black satin tablecloths. Satin is a great fabric for your table setting because it is chic and opulent.
Wondering where to find this?
Check out Australian Linen Supply, the trusted linen supplier. They stock a variety of linen at an affordable cost.
A black-tie party is elegant, which means you should factor in the tablecloth’s drop. For this theme, go for a puddle drop.
A puddle drop is when the tablecloth hangs all the way to the floor. This gives your tables a stylish and elegant look.
Place beautiful Eiffel Tower vases as your centrepieces. These are tall and look classy with white flowers in them.
As this is a formal setting, you will need:
- A serving plate or charger. Place a white serving plate at the centre of the place setting. This is the underplate for courses that precede the entrée.
- Dinner plate. Match the colour of your dinner plate with that of the serving plate and place it on top of the charger.
- Knives, including a dinner and salad knife. Your silver dinner knife goes to the right of the plate, followed by the salad knife. Ensure the sharp edges of the knives face the plate.
- Forks, including a dinner and salad fork. Place your dinner fork on the left of the plate. Your salad fork goes next to the dinner fork with the prongs facing up.
- Glasses, including a water glass and red/white wine glass. The glasses go to the right of your place setting, above the knives.
Napkins. Impress your guests with white napkins in a candle fold pattern. Watch this video for some inspiration
It isn’t a birthday party without a cake!
Keep to the black-tie theme and let your cake be mouth-watering. This is a sweet ending to a perfect birthday.
2. Ladybug-Themed Party
The ladybug theme is a great idea for a kid’s birthday.
Many cultures believe that ladybugs bring protection and good luck.
There are many types of ladybugs. The red ladybugs with black spots are the most popular ones.
For your decor, use white tablecloths with red table runners decorated with black polka dots. This will bring out the ladybug theme.
Remain one with nature. Place a stand with grass and mini white fencing as your centrepiece. Hang polka dot balloons from the stand.
Keep the food light by serving finger foods. Finger foods are easy to serve and less messy.
Use red and green cutlery, plates, cups, and napkins for your tableware. Serve your guests cocktails with white and red paper drinking straws.
Let the dessert table be a visual delight. Place colourful ladybug cupcakes to inspire the inner child in all your guests.
Next to them, have a cake in the shape of a ladybug.
3. Pool-Themed Party
The sunny season is the perfect excuse to throw a pool party.
Turn the swimming pool into a rainbow using tons of colour for decor. A pool with coloured balloons, floating ducks, and umbrellas is inviting.
A great pool party has food! Keep with the pool theme when serving your food and drinks.
Hotdogs, barbequed snacks, fruit punch, and cocktails are a favourite after a swim.
Set a dessert table with mouth-watering pool party foods. Serve simple and light desserts such as ice cream and popsicles. Include a variety of themed lollies of different colours, like gummy rings.
4. Great Gatsby-Themed Party
Nothing says old is gold like a Great Gatsby-themed party. This is a party based on a classic novel by F. Scott Fitzgerald, an American author.
It is fine dining featuring the 1920s lifestyle. For your glamorous setting, use black and gold colours to bring out the theme.
Hang a glittering wall backdrop draped in gold and black tablecloths. Fix a string of lights to reflect a warm and cosy glow. This also makes the setting feel intimate.
Set an exotic look for your tables using a glitzy, shiny gold table runner. It will enhance the sophistication and magnificence of your party.
For tableware, place white dinner plates on the table alongside gold cutlery. This is characteristic of the 1920s table setting.
Consider custom made menu holders placed on top of the dinner plates.
Cocktails are popular for a Gatsby-themed party. Serve them from cocktail glasses.
Feathers are a must-have for your centrepieces. They are a big deal within the Great Gatsby style.
Go for big, white feathers. You want your centrepieces to be outstanding and blend well with the party theme.
Go all out with the dessert. Have a cake and some delicious cupcakes in gold, black and white. Yummy!
Also, place the cupcakes on a glass cupcake stand filled with beads or pearls. It will enrich your dessert table setting.
5. Barbeque-Themed Party
Australians love barbeque parties and are pros at throwing them. So, why not have a barbeque-themed birthday party?
Use a bare table for your setting. It provides both texture and character to your outdoor party.
Adorn your tables with colour-matching tableware. Place red and white checkered runners and napkins.
Use floral centrepieces to bring a dazzle of freshness to the party.
Seat guests in the family seating style where they face each other. It makes it easier to have conversations.
This being an informal setting, you need not use fine china. However, you still want to keep your tables attractive. For tableware, you need:
- Dinner plates: Place your ceramic dinner plates on the table.
- Forks: For each place setting, place two forks on the left side of the plate. Ensure the prongs face upwards for safety. Use the large fork for the main course and the small for salad.
- Knives: This being an Australian barbeque, steak is definitely on the menu. Place the dinner and salad knives to the right of the plate. The sharp edges of the knives should face inwards.
- Glasses: Place glasses for each setting. Serve water, wine or a cocktail depending on the choice of your guests. Steak and beer go hand-in-hand. Beer can be drunk straight from the bottle.
- Table napkin: Keep with the theme of the party. Place red checkered napkins on the dinner plate.
To enliven the ambience, hang some decorative lights. That way, if the party goes on till evening, darkness doesn’t creep in on you.
Candles are versatile, as they have a functional and aesthetic role. This being an outdoor setting, they will keep the flies away. The glow also adds beauty to your setting.
No party is complete without dessert. It is a birthday after all!
Let your guests enjoy the sugary treat of a delicious chocolate cake. Be sure to have some Tim Tams and chocolate crackles, too.
Let’s Wrap Up
A sure way to leave your guests mesmerised is by matching your linen to the party theme. It will give your table setting an added oomph.
If you don’t know where to source your table linen, why not try Australian Linen Supply?
It’s an easy decision:
- ALS supplies quality commercial linen and they are ISO-certified.
- They are a trusted brand with 2.5k Australian businesses relying on their service weekly.
- They have been supplying linen to customers for 48 years.
- They stock high-quality linen in different colours and patterns.
You can enjoy all these benefits from ALS. Shop online today! They never disappoint.
Feature Image: Uihere