How to Make Your Hotel Beds Cosier
Are you struggling to offer ultimate comfort and luxury at your accommodation property? And you are looking for ways to make your bedrooms cosier?
You’ve come to the right place. Keep reading.
We’ll show you insanely easy ways to cosy up your hotel beds. So much that your guests will be helplessly addicted to your establishment. And naturally, become returning customers.
Why? Because spending at your place feels like a home away from home.
Sounds good? Let’s show you how to make your hotel beds cosier.
Buy the Best Hotel Quality Sheets
Don’t get caught buying ordinary bed sheets for your accommodation facility. As sure as the sun rises, they will not last.
Because ordinary retail sheets are not built for commercial use. Instead, shop for hotel quality sheets.
Hotel quality sheets are manufactured intentionally for commercial use. They can withstand frequent laundering which is common in a commercial setup.
But before you buy your commercial bed linen, there are key factors that you need to consider. Let’s look at them in detail.
1. Type of Material
As you pick the perfect material for your hotel sheets, three things will influence your choice:
Your individual preferences/needs
The bed sheets care requirements
What is the best material for hotel sheets? Here’s a quick overview of bed sheet materials and their features:
- Silk bed sheets: They are the best luxury sheets. They’re sensual, smooth, luxurious, and very expensive to purchase
- Egyptian cotton bed sheets: They are made from cotton grown in Egypt. The sheets are breathable, strong, and soft
- Polyester bed sheets: They are affordable, stain resistant, and hypoallergenic
- Bamboo rayon bed sheets: They are easy to clean and breathable. They are also antimicrobial and mildew resistant
- Flannel bed sheets: They are warm sheets made from a cotton blend. They have a brushed fluffy finish
- Linen bed sheets: Linen is a sturdy durable fabric that wrinkles easily when washed. Linen sheets absorb moisture well, keeping you dry and comfortable throughout the night
- Microfiber bed sheets: They are budget-friendly hypoallergenic sheets that wick moisture leaving you cool and dry all night long
- Cotton blend bed sheets: Cotton is blended with synthetic fibres to produce durable, comfortable, and budget-friendly sheets. And they have low maintenance requirements. The common blends are 50% cotton/50% polyester and 75% cotton/25% polyester
Found the best material for your hotel sheets? Sample hotel sheets by fabric:
2. Fabric Weave
So what is fabric weave anyway? Fabric weave refers to the technique used to make your sheets, i.e. how they are woven together. Fabric weave dictates how a fabric feels when you touch it.
In the bed sheet market, you are most likely to come across percale weave and sateen weave.
Let’s take a closer look at them:
- Prone to pilling
- Shows wear quickly
- Feels silky smooth
- Less prone to wrinkles
- Woven over three under one
- Feel heavier and smoother
- Glamorous looking sheen
- Warm to touch and an excellent choice for cooler climates
- Less breathable
- Slightly less durable
- More likely to pile and snag
- Doesn’t pile
- Easy care
- Feels cool and crisp
- Matte looking finish
- Lasts longer, durable
- Strong yet soft and smooth
- Woven over one under one
- Gets softer with laundering and use
- May initially feel stiff, until broken in
- Wrinkles initially, but lessens as fibres soften with use
3. Thread Count
Thread count is the number of vertical and horizontal threads per square inch of any fabric.
- Higher thread count = more threads per square inch
- Lower thread count = fewer threads per square
Ideally, higher thread count should mean better bed sheet quality and feel. However, some unscrupulous manufacturers play with the thread count by twisting several yarns together to create a higher number.
Therefore, when buying your hotel sheets, do not base your judgement on thread count alone. Base your decision on fabric, weave, and thread count.
Here is a table to give you an overview of fabrics vs their ideal thread count. Remember, some fabrics such as linen have a low thread count yet they are still of high quality. It is as a result of the nature of their fibres.
|Fabric||Ideal Thread Count|
|High thread count percale/Sateen||350-750|
|100 thread count percale||800-1000|
4. Bed Sheet Size
It can be very frustrating if you buy bed sheets only to find out that they don’t fit your beds. But how do you know the right bed sheet size? Use this Australia’s bed and mattress sizes table as a guide.
AUSTRALIA'S BED & MATTRESS SIZES
|Bed Type||Metric Measurement (cm)||Imperial Measurement|
|Single Bed Size||92cm x 187cm||3’0’’ x 6’2’’ (36” x74”)|
|Single Extra Long Size||92cm x 203cm||3’0” x 6’8” (36” x80”)|
|King Single Size||106cm x 203cm||3’6” x 6’8” (42” x80”)|
|Double Size||137cm x 187cm||4’6” x 6’2” (54” x 74”)|
|Queen Size||153cm x 203cm||5’0” x 6’8” (60” x 80”)|
|King Size||183cm x 203cm||6’0” x 6’8” (72” x 80”)|
|Super King Size||203cm x 203cm||6’8” x 6’8” (80” x 80”)|
Now that you know your bed sheet sizes, it’s time to know your bed sheets by type.
Here we go:
Top Sheet/Flat Sheet: is placed over a fitted sheet and then tucked under the sides and bottom of the mattress.
Bottom Sheet/Fitted Sheet: fits tightly over the mattress. The best quality has elastic sewn around the edges to help keep the sheet in place. Cheaper versions have elastic only on two sides.
Here are their images to paint a clearer picture:
Where to Buy Hotel Quality Sheets in Australia?
Buying hotel quality sheets can be a daunting task - especially if you have no idea of what to look for.
Luckily, you are in the know. By now you must have decided on:
- The fabric you want
- The ideal thread count
- The right bed sheet size
- The perfect weave; percale or sateen
So what’s left is for you to buy your hotel sheets, right?
You are better off buying your bed linen is from wholesale bed linen suppliers.
Because they sell commercial bed linen. (Remember how we discussed not buying ordinary retail bed sheets?)
You can check out Australian Linen Supply. They have been in the accommodation industry for 40+ years. And they stock hotel quality sheets among other linens at very attractive prices.
Go ahead and check out their accommodation linen.
Once you’ve bought your awesome hotel quality sheets, you need to take good care of them. Here’s how to best care for your hotel sheets.
Pile On Hotel Pillows
Pillows are an excellent addition to your bed. They make your bed look irresistibly cosy and elegant. So, don’t shy away. Pile on the pillows.
A pillow’s utility is defined by the material used to fill it. Therefore, you’d be right to choose your pillows based on the type of material used to fill them.
So which pillows options do you have? Let’s explore.
Polyester pillows are the all-time favourite pillow option thanks to their affordability and easy care requirements.
- Easy to clean
- Dries quickly
- Easy to bounce back to fullness and fluffiness (just fluff them)
- May feel lumpy if you fail to fluff them often
- May full hot against your skin (polyester is synthetic)
- The pillows are a favourite breeding ground for dust mites
Polyester fill pillows are suitable for back sleepers, side sleepers, and occasionally stomach sleepers.
Memory Foam Pillow
They are designed to respond to your body’s pressure. Once you lift your weight off the foam mattress, it returns to the original form and shape.
- Contours well to your head, neck, and shoulders
- May prevent snoring because it keeps your neck and spine aligned
- May help relieve neck, shoulder, and back pain
- Provides relief from your body’s pressure points
- Breathable; keeps you cool while you sleep
- Chemical off-gassing as a result of the manufacturing process (use of volatile organic compounds such as formaldehyde and CFCs (chlorofluorocarbons)
- Harsh materials (carcinogens) are used to make the pillows flame retardant
- Sensitive to temperature thus retains body heat. Temperature also affects the pillow’s firmness
Memory foam pillow is not suitable for children, people sensitive or allergic to the chemicals used.
Memory foam pillow is suitable for people who suffer from a stiff or sore neck. Or those who find it hard to sleep comfortably.
These are pillows filled with malleable “uniform polymer particles” - they look like white beads.
- Keeps you cool at night because of the breathability
- Offers good support for your head, neck, and shoulders
- They have a short lifespan
- Associated with off-gassing
- They don’t vary in firmness, available only as medium firm, medium loft
Microbead pillows are suitable for back sleepers only. They don’t have the loft adjustability to make them suitable for all types of sleeping positions.
Goose Down Pillows
Fibres that make up a bird’s undercoat, largely in the chest area closest to the bird’s skin are known as down. And those are the fibres used to make the goose down pillows. The down pillows are super soft and hold their fluffiness better than other synthetic fibres.
- Moulds easily to maintain its shape for longer
- Super light and soft
- Accommodates all types of sleepers
- Complicated to wash and care for
- Firm hard down pillows aren’t an available option
- Expensive to purchase
Goose down pillows are suitable for all types of sleepers.
A water pillow is a plastic reservoir that is wrapped using a polyester foam or fibre fill. Water pillows offer unchanging solid support.
- Easily adjustable; you add or remove the water to suit your preference
- Offers soothing relief for head and neck pains
- Excellent elevated support throughout the night
- You can’t mould the pillow to take a different shape
- Potential to leak
- The water inside the pillow may make noises if you don’t remove the air fully
Water pillows are suitable for all types of sleepers.
Need extra tips? Here’s how to choose a luxurious pillow like a pro.
Now let’s check out some tantalizing pillows for your hotel beds.
Remember Other Bedding
Your accommodation bed is quickly getting cosier, right? You now need to check that the other bedding are in top-notch form.
- Bed covers
- Bed runners
- Quilts and quilt covers
- Mattress protectors
- Mattress toppers
Your Cosiest Beds Are Now Ready!
Have you finished selecting the right hotel sheets? Piled on the pillows like a pro? And spruced up the other bedding? A resounding YES means you are ready to host your guests to the cosiest bed in town.
And one more thing:
Remember, Australian Linen Supply stocks linen for every occasion. So, explore their excellent variety today.
Feature Image: Flickr Image by Les Roches
Pillow Arrangement from What Would Jackie Do
Other Beddings photo from Matouk.